Patchwork Stripes Tutorial
Posted on June 28, 2016 in Tutorials by Katie
Polymer Clay Tutorial
I received several requests to share how I made this new pen & jewelry set from polymer clay. Here is a brief tutorial on how I made them. Details to make your own Faux Collage Veneers can be found here.
- Scrap Polymer Clay in Any Color You Choose
- 1/2 block of Premo polymer clay in your choice of color for the background
- A variety of stencils, stamps, silk screens, etc.
- A variety of inks, chalks, paints, etc.
- Clay Blade
How to Make Patchwork Stripes
NOTE: You can make stripes using plain, unaltered clay as well as mini-veneers. However, using mini-veneers as stripes add interest to your design.
- Start by conditioning several small 1.5″ squares of clay (this will make enough for multiple striped projects).
- Prepare each veneer by layering different silkscreen, stencils, inks, dyes, stamps, etc.
- Make 2-7 small veneers.
- Condition 1/2 block of your choice of polymer clay (I used a custom dark blue color).
- Cut different width strips onto each sheet.
- Begin to layer the strips next to each other on the sheet of clay.
- NOTE: I did mine two different directions for the pendant & earrings, you can do yours any direction you want.
- Use a brayer and GENTLY roll it over the top surface of the sheet until the seams are well blended. Do NOT press so hard that you smash the clay.
- Add a piece of saran wrap over your finished striped sheet.
- Cut cutters to cut out the shapes you desire for your pendant.
- Remove the pieces you cut out from the sheet and finish as you see fit.
- Bake your finished items in a 275 degree oven for 45 minutes if you have used Premo! polymer clay.
Want to learn to make mixed media veneers & what products work well?
Making small faux collage pieces, mini canvases, or veneers with a wide range of mixed media art supplies can be very fun. There are some do’s and don’ts, but you can experiment along the way. Here’s a few tips:
- Not all inks, paints, chalks, etc will work with polymer clay. There is a learning curve on which products work best.
- You do NOT have to create small veneers to make stripes. I like to add interest to the clay by doing so however.
- You can add stripes to anything your heart desires, like this GIANT pen I made.
- Crackle finish was done from a tutorial “Rustic Raku Crackle” by Shannon Tabor of Charleston Clay Jewelry. I highly recommend this tutorial.
SHARE WHAT YOU’VE MADE:
Did you use this tutorial to make your own creation? Share it with my readers & the world by using
on your social media accounts.
Do you have ideas for another tutorial you’d like me to post here on the blog? Send me your ideas.
Thanks for joining me today,
Free polymer clay tutorials are made possible by Parker’s Clayful Tutorials Club Members. Join the Club now!