I received several requests to share how I made this new pen & jewelry set from polymer clay. Here is a brief tutorial on how I made them. Details to make your own Faux Collage Veneers can be found here.
- Scrap Polymer Clay in Any Color You Choose
- 1/2 block of Premo polymer clay in your choice of color for the background
- A variety of stencils, stamps, silk screens, etc.
- A variety of inks, chalks, paints, etc.
- Clay Blade
How to Make Patchwork Stripes
For a more detailed tutorial on this technique see my Faux Collage Veneers Tutorial.
NOTE: You can make stripes using plain, unaltered clay as well as mini-veneers. However, using mini-veneers as stripes add interest to your design.
- Start by conditioning several small 1.5″ squares of clay (this will make enough for multiple striped projects).
- Prepare each veneer by layering different silkscreen, stencils, inks, dyes, stamps, etc.
- SHOWN: One of my favorite silkscreens from CreateAlong, Spiral Dance.
- Make 2-7 small veneers.
- Condition 1/2 block of your choice of polymer clay (I used a custom dark blue color).
- Cut different width strips onto each sheet.
- Begin to layer the strips next to each other on the sheet of clay.
- NOTE: I did mine two different directions for the pendant & earrings, you can do yours any direction you want.
- Use a brayer and GENTLY roll it over the top surface of the sheet until the seams are well blended. Do NOT press so hard that you smash the clay.
- Add a piece of saran wrap over your finished striped sheet.
- Cut cutters to cut out the shapes you desire for your pendant.
- Remove the pieces you cut out from the sheet and finish as you see fit.
- Bake your finished items in a 275 degree oven for 45 minutes if you have used Premo! polymer clay.
Making small faux collage pieces, mini canvases, or veneers with a wide range of mixed media art supplies can be very fun. There are some do’s and don’ts, but you can experiment along the way. Here’s a few tips:
- Not all inks, paints, chalks, etc will work with polymer clay. There is a learning curve on which products work best.
- You do NOT have to create small veneers to make stripes. I like to add interest to the clay by doing so however.
- You can add stripes to anything your heart desires, like this GIANT pen I made.
- Crackle finish was done from a tutorial “Rustic Raku Crackle” by Shannon Tabor of Charleston Clay Jewelry. I highly recommend this tutorial.
Thanks for joining me today,
Free polymer clay tutorials are made possible by Whimsical Sculpting Tutorials Club Members!
Polymer Clay Mixed Media Invitations Tutorial$7.95 Add to cartQuick View
Whimsical Sculpting Tutorial Club – BasicSale! From: $9.95 / month Select optionsQuick View
Polymer Clay Faux Collage Technique Veneers Tutorial$14.95 Add to cartQuick View
Polymer Clay Galaxy Technique Tutorial$14.95 Add to cartQuick View