How To Choose Your Etsy Tags
Every single selling struggles with one very big thing: tags. Most sellers on Etsy have a love/hate relationship with tags. Some days they love them and some days they hate them and other days they just wish they could get insight into using better tags. So how do you tag your items to get found in search results? Here’s a brief how-to to spice up your tags and get your items found.
CHECK YOUR TAGS:
This is one of the most important aspects of Etsy tags. I have often found myself going back to renew an item and I look at the tags and they are not even close to what they should be. How did this happen? Most likely because I used Etsy’s “copy” feature to make a new ad so that I could easily keep the framework of the new ad. While this is a great tool, it leaves this area, Etsy tags, easily overlooked. So the first rule? When you are not writing an ad from scratch, check your tags.
Often I look at people’s ads and wonder how they are getting found. Why? Many ads are missing key descriptors. The biggest searched-for description Etsy-wide is color. Many people build treasuries solely based on color. You must include your key colors in your tags. This does not mean that you should name every color in your piece. Rather, it means that you should take the time to name the main colors as well as specialty colors. For example, in a standard Parker StoryBook Scene, I always use the color of Parker as one of the tags.
As I mentioned previously, many Etsy tags are missing key descriptors. Key descriptors include things as size, shape, color, material, style, & mood. When using descriptors, please do not lie to show up in search results. If this happens, you run the risk of harming your relevancy ratings for both SEO for search engines, as well as Etsy’s internal algorithms. Remember: You sell online. People can not touch or see your item…you must use words to help them “see & feel” the item on the screen as though they were shopping in a real store. Here are some examples of descriptors:
Size: How Big is It?
- Think overall size: Miniature, Small, Large,
- Think dimensionally: Spacious, 5 x 7,
Shape: What does it look like?
- Think overall shape: Round, Square, Octagonal, etc.
- Think Design: Freeform, hand-carved, etc.
- Think Dimensionally (similar to sizing above): 5×7, Diorama, etc.
Color: What colors are featured?
- Use basic colors: red, blue, green, purple, etc.
- Use trending colors for the season: In fall seasons gold, burnt umber, amber, pumpkin spice, neutral, deep red, etc.
- Think in terms of Pantone’s colors or color names.
- Use Pantone’s trending colors for the season.
- Hint: I am subscribed via RSS feed to receive their most recent updates so I’m always on top of color trends in the fashion/retail world.
Material: What is it made from?
- Art Materials: Polymer Clay, Watercolor, Acrylic Paint, Charcoal, Oil Paints
- Fabric: Cotton, Polyester, Nylon, Felts
- Photography Photo Papers: Matte, Semi-Gloss, Gloss, Etc.
- Jewelry Components: Gemstones, Crystals, Glass, Acrylic, etc. and name them as best you can (i.e.: Swarovski, turquoise, howlite, fire polish, etc)
Style: What theme is it done in?
- Holiday / Celebration themes: Bridal, Halloween, Christmas, New Year, Birthday, etc.
- Fantasy: Goth, Steampunk, Fairytale, etc.
- Seasonal: Fall, Autumn, Winter, Spring, Summer
- For who/whom: him, her, mom, dad, child, etc.
Mood: Describe It!
- Clothing: Warmth, closeness, old-fashioned goodness, etc.
- Jewelry: Luxury, richness, peace, tranquility, etc.
- Home Items: Happiness, serenity, joy, plant mom, domestic diva, etc.
- Photography: Chaos, order, peace, quiet, nature, urban life, etc.
Last, but Not Least:
- Check out other tags in your area of design. If other people in your field are using the term “cotton blend” then perhaps you should add that tag to a few of your listings.
- Always use seasonal & holiday tags when appropriate so you can be picked up through Etsy finds clicks and searches.
- When in doubt, go to GoogleAdwords and search for help and other keywords there.
- Don’t forget to make sure to use keywords that also appear in the category you are listing under, it will boost your search results as well.
- Put your main keywords in both your title and your tags, this will boost your SEO for your item.
- Want more information on tagging your items? Go to Etsy and search there for some ideas, hints, tips, and tricks.
Sculpt Your Dreams,
St Patrick’s Day Mica Powder Bundle – Pick Your Set$8.35 – $13.95
Glitz Series Mica Powders$5.65 – $15.95
Splendid Spoon & Spatula Sculpting (s5) Tool for Miniatures$7.95
Valentine’s Day Mica Powder Bundle – LIMITED EDITION Set of 4$10.95
Old Man Face Worksheet$2.49
Polymer Clay Faux Collage Technique Veneers Tutorial$14.95