Inside My Polymer Clay Studio
Let’s Remember What WIP Wednesday is …
What’s Going on in KatersAcres Polymer Clay Studio?
As per usual, there’s a LOT going on in my studio and I apologize in advance that I haven’t taken MORE photos for you these two weeks. I still have 2 students taking classes with me in my studio. They’ve been working hard and have been taking lessons since about August now. They are doing SO WELL! I’ll try to take pictures when they are here tomorrow for class. You can sign up and take classes too! Here’s my class list or you can do as the current ladies are doing, bring in a project and we work on them together.
FYI: I do tend to post photos on Instagram during the week so you can follow and stay up to date with me and what I’m working on (and get a surprise coupon every once and awhile too). Feel free to come over and follow me on instagram so that you can see behind the scenes work in my studio as well as some tips & tricks as I post them.
CLICK ON THE PICTURE BELOW TO ENLARGE IT.
- Here’s a little snap shot of how I bake small pieces in my studio, in a kitty cat food container with corn starch. Get the how-to & read the article here.
- After several recommendations (and the fact that my book club is reading this) I jumped on the band wagon to read “Big Magic: Creative Living Beyond Fear” by Elizabeth Gilbert. Get your copy on Amazon here. I’m about 3/4 finished at this point and will write a brief review in a future WIP Wednesday.
Be sure to notice her definition of creativity in the very front of the book. “What is creativity? The relationship between a human being and the mysteries of inspiration.” How’s that for a great definition?
- See that really sparkly picture?! It can only be one thing … Swarovski. Oh how I love me some Swarovski crystals. These ones are hot fix, flat backed crystals, a very necessary & integral part of my daily creating.
- Almost gone – oh no! Super Sculpey is one of those things that I just can’t live without. But don’t worry, it’s on my list for the craft store.
- Don’t miss that adorable, full grown studio assistant. Her name’s Mocha Latte, you can meet her here.
- This yummy Christmas pendant features a silverware finish brass heart from B’Sue Boutiques. It also features Swarovski crystals (you can’t tell I like sparkly huh?).
- Parker’s Clayful Tutorials Club Members got a really fun Gingerbread Doll for their 2nd tutorial of the month. Join the club or get the tutorial here.
- Be sure you don’t miss the FREE color recipe for Gingerbread!
- When making a Santa brooch, what do you do with the leftover scraps? Make a Christmas stacked cane of course!
PRO TIP: Play Around First
It’s very important to be able to convey an expression in your figurines. You do that through their eyes, mouth position, head tilt, etc. But the hardest part is the expression on their eyes. Take a piece of scrap clay or leftover clay you used for your figurine’s face and practice their expression. Do this before putting it on your figurine. This could save you from having to fix, smooth, or correct any “I didn’t know it would look like that” moments that often occur when sculpting.
Don’t Miss This:
Just in case you’re not in the habit of checking, every Tuesday Syndee Holt releases a “New Color Tuesday” post on the Polyform Products (Sculpey) website showing her experiments with color. I always await this post with eagerness. This week’s color mixes shows a mix with one of my new favorites, Graphite Pearl.
We do one large sales event a year and it’s Black Friday weekend. You do NOT want to miss it. However, it order to get the coupons, you MUST be signed up on the mailing list. There will be NO social media coupons this year. We have some GREAT special offers for you, but you must CLICK HERE to sign up for the emails to be notified of the sales.