I like to use up my scraps when I can and these past several weeks I have been so busy in my studio that I have had lots and lots of scraps. So … when scraps take over your work surface, find something cute and fun to do with them.
Perhaps the most scraps I’ve generated in one day was the day I took to make the caned Poinsettia pins. I had two huge logs of scraps probably equivalent to about 1/3 block of clay each. WOWSERS! So I had to do something with them. While I haven’t ventured into using the red scrap log yet, I did use up all of the green scrappy log …
Christmas Tree Ornament Tutorial
- Gather up all your green scraps.
- Marble them together using your pasta machine.
- Roll out your clay slab on the 2nd largest setting of your pasta machine.
- Using 3 different sized circle cutters, cut big, medium, & small rounds from your sheet.
- Use a knitting needle to insert holes into your rounds (they do not need to be perfectly centered, in fact they are cuter if they are not).
- Use a stamp or another kind of texture tool to give some texture to your rounds.
- Bake at 275 degrees for 45-60 minutes, covered with foil to prevent scorching.
- When they are completely cool, paint the textured side of your rounds with white acrylic paint.
- Allow it to set just a minute or so and remove access paint with a wet wipe, leaving behind the paint deep in the texture.
- When you have done this to all your beads, seal them with a clear coat of varnish.
- Once the varnish is dry to the touch, place them back in the oven at 200 degrees for about 15 minutes to harden the varnish and super-seal the rounds.
- Now simply string up your beads onto 18 gauge wire.
- Add additional elements using seed beads, base metals, sterling, or any other findings you have on hand.
- When all your pieces are on, bend the metal to make little “hooks” that your trees can hang from.
Free Tutorials are Made Possible by the Whimsical Sculpting Tutorial Club Members. Come & Join Us!
Sculpt Your Dreams,
Whimsical Sculpting Tutorial Club
This is a sculpture based whimsical sculpting tutorial club using polymer clay. This is a great club at a low cost with high value. The Whimsical Sculpting Tutorials Club is a membership club offering monthly sculpting projects, some with a mixed media focus. This club is an exclusive membership tutorial club that will give you at least 2 projects a month with supplemental freebies. See below for details.
Recurring Monthly Subscription. No Refunds.