This easy, faux crackle technique can become the base for a multitude of clay designs. It works the best the easiest as a veneer technique on raw clay designs. And like many happy accidents and tutorials here at KatersAcres, this faux crackle technique has a story too. It also pairs nicely and easily with the Faux Collage Veneers tutorial too! Are you ready to try it? Let’s get started!
- Premo Polymer Clay
- Medium Body Acrylic Paint in your choice of color
- Mesh Crafter’s Webbing
- Pasta Machine
- Rubbing Alcohol in Spritz Bottle
- Baby Wipes
How To Do This Easy Faux Crackle Technique
- Fully prepare and condition the color and amount of Premo! clay you will need.
- For this example, I have prepared one, 2-ounce block of white Premo! clay.
- Cover the entire sheet with the desired color of medium-body acrylic paint.
- I have used black Liquitex paint.
- Allow it to dry fully. (This may take several hours depending on the clay and paints used.)
- Once the paint is dry, place the mesh crafter’s webbing onto the sheet of clay.
- Thoroughly embed into the sheet using an acrylic brayer.
- You want the mesh to be embedded into the sheet so that it will not easily lift up.
- Spray liberally with rubbing alcohol from a mister bottle.
- Use several baby wipes and begin the process of removing the paint from the sheet of clay.
- You may need several baby wipes depending on how thickly you laid down the paint and how dry the paint is on the sheet of clay.
- Continue wiping the paint off until you are down to the base layer of clay between the mesh areas.
- Then slowly remove the mesh from the sheet of clay.
- What is left behind is a gorgeous “crackle” pattern that can be used for a variety of projects!
- The cool part is that as you use this veneer, part of it will truly “crackle” along the paint lines adding an additional level of “cool” to your faux crackle.
- As a side note, this technique works fabulously with the Faux Collage Veneers Tutorial too.
Thanks for joining me today,
5 thoughts on “Easy Faux Crackle Tutorial – Overlay Technique”
Would love to make this but mesh fabtic is no longer available on Amazon and I can’t find it anywhere.
You’re better off getting this in a store now than Amazon so that you can “pick” the type of crackle that you’d like to achieve.
LOVE it! Great technique!