Make Your Own Polymer Clay Buttons
It’s a do-it-yourself world out there and crafters around the globe are finding better, simpler ways to make things themselves. From recipes, baked goods, clothing, jewelry, and so much more. Tuesdays are usually devoted to a polymer clay tip, something that will help you clay better. I was asked to do a tutorial on how to make buttons. This is a beginner’s tutorial for simple buttons. You can use the knowledge you already have in your polymer clay technique repertoire to build on these simple buttons.
BASIC POLYMER CLAY BUTTONS
- Choose your polymer clay.
- Condition your polymer clay.
- Roll sheet to a uniform thickness using either a pasta machine or an acrylic roller.
- ***TIP: Cover with Saran Wrap
- Use Kemper Cutters (or cookie cutters) to cut shapes for buttons.
- Remove cutters & the shape will be left behind.
- Remove Saran Wrap and edges will be perfectly round and will not look “cookie cutter-ish”
- Use a tapestry needle to poke holes in the clay.
- Remove from the surface and smooth all edges.
- Bake according to the manufacturer’s instructions.
The owl buttons shown above are my own and were made using this simple button method with added component pieces to create a basic owl shape. Feel free to visit my Polymer Clay Buttons board on Pinterest to see more buttons to spark your creativity.