WIP Wednesday in My Polymer Clay Studio
Posted on June 11, 2014 in Work In Progress by Katie Oskin
Work in Progress
Work in Progress
There has been a lot going on in my studio this week … most of my “work in progress” has revolved around the creating, writing, & photographing of tutorials for upcoming Club Projects, a magazine, the blog & more. So, while there are not a lot of pictures to show you, there’s a few fun things. As always, clockwise from top left:
- Lolly & Mrs. Snail – Lolly has been feeling a big neglected lately while Parker has been taking the center stage. So this week on Lolly’s walk, she found a gorgeous snail, appropriately named Mrs. Snail, and now has another new friend. This Lolly is available for adoption & immediate shipment from my Etsy store.
- Brown Clay – To be exact, Polyform’s Premo! Sculpey in Raw Sienna. This is my favorite color of brown and I use it all the time. It mixes great for a dark muted tone with many bright colors. When it bakes it retains it’s color and looks virtually the same as it did in the pack. While Premo! has other brown clays, this one is my all time favorite.
- Mica Powders – I love the look of a tiny bit of mica powder as an accent detail or to make something “pop” where it didn’t pop before. My favorites that I like to use a Perfect Pearls as they have a built in resin and don’t require sealing. However, Pearl Fx have a much wider variety of color options. You can get the majority of the colors individually at PolyClayPlay.
- Snowman Ornaments – Yep, Christmas will be here before you know it. I made these cute tags from the Snowflake Canes I made last week.
- Chalking It Up – I really have a thing for blending chalks, often I choose these over mica powders. Blending chalks add a wash of color without a “metallic” effect. I love that all kinds of looks can be captured and you can make the tiniest of details really pop just by adding a wash of chalk to unbaked clay. I’ve had this exact set for over 6 years and it’s still going strong!
- SNEAK PEAK – Here’s a SNEAK PEAK at Monday’s tutorial for Parker’s Tutorial Club. Anyone want to guess what it is? Leave your ideas below.
- Leaf Canes – I’m addicted to leaf canes and after years of trying to make the perfect cane where it looks like the center “glows” … I DID IT! I share with you the color recipe & a link to the tutorial I used to create it in here. Don’t miss it!
- For the Love of Egypt – I absolutely love and I am fascinated with Ancient Egypt. So, I made myself this handsome cartouche to wear around joyfully. Look at those ancient hieroglyphs that I found while digging in an abandoned corner of my world … AND in case you wanted to know, I’m writing a Project Sheet for you too (coming soon)! And of course I had to show you what it looks like around my neck…do you like it?
Weekly Tidbits & Fun
- Life is filled full of ups & downs. Right now, our septic is having major issues. So we’re in the process of getting a new leach field. *Sigh* So, things have been a little “stinky” around here lately. Ah, the joys of home ownership …
- In light of the above statement: What did one septic tank man say to the other? You’re looking a little flushed ….
- My kitty has decided that climbing on Daddy’s back and giving his ear a “kiss” when he gets home is her new favorite thing.