There’s nothing prettier (in my opinion) than that perfect leaf cane that seems to pop & glow in all of your creations. I’ve made literally hundreds of leaf canes & I finally found a blend that makes my leaves pop & almost “glow.” You’ll have to make these for yourself and see what you think…
NOTE: I make mini-canes, enough for no more than 3 projects. For a bigger cane, please increase the amounts of clay shown below.
PREMO CLAY COLORS USED:
- 1 Part Transluscent
- 2 Parts Green Pearl
- 1/2 Part Sunshine Yellow
- 2 Parts Green
- 1 Part Ultramarine Blue
- 1 Part Alizarin Crimson (for leaf veins)
Worksheet Series: Skinner Blend Leaf Cane
There are quite literally dozens of ways to make a leaf cane. This is a great way to use up green scraps, add some gradient, and not to overly fussy about the way your cane looks in the end while still having quite a beautiful cane in the process.
PLEASE TAKE A MOMENT TO READ THE FULL DESCRIPTION BELOW.
The Leaf Cane Worksheet above shows the basics step-outs in building a Skinner Blended Leaf Cane.
This tutorial uses Tami’s Leaf Cane from Polymer Clay Central as a basis for design.
- First make a Skinner Blend using the clays above.
- NOTE: Be sure to lay them out in the same order they are listed above and shown at right.
- Follow the steps in this tutorial to make a fan folded Skinner blend stack.
- Cut the stack apart to add the center veins, shown in this tutorial.
- Once you reassemble the cane and reduce it, you will see the natural “glowing effect” that this cane will give you with the translucent and bright yellow.
- My personal feeling is that the tiny section of blue on the end adds a touch of life to the leaf canes.
- If you aren’t in favor of the blue, you can replace it for the same amount of purple for a surprising color shift & effect.
- If you want less of a glow, try using Wasabi instead of sunshine. The cane will not “glow” as much, but will have a similar effect.
Thanks for joining me today,
Polymer Clay Miniature Scrap Bugs$2.98 Add to cartQuick View
Polymer Clay Cane Slicer Instructions Using Bookends$9.99 Add to cartQuick View
Whimsical Sculpting Tutorial Club – BasicSale! From: $9.95 / month Select optionsQuick View
Worksheet Series: Skinner Blend Leaf Cane$2.49 Add to cartQuick View