WIP Wednesday: Bead Crazy
Posted on October 15, 2014 in Work In Progress by Katie Oskin
HELP! I’ve Gone a Little Bead Crazy
WIP Wednesday: The Week of the Polymer Clay Beads
Polymer Clay Beads
There was a time, years ago, when all I did with clay was make beads. I know many people who LOVE it … but for me … it was monotonous and boring. It’s likely because that’s all I did. I hadn’t found my “heartbeat” with polymer yet. It was after becoming so entirely sick of beads that I tried sculpting … and fell in love. Despite that, from time to time I can still be found making beads in my studio … but I only make them for myself. I rarely make them for others … why, because I only make beads I love with the intent to keep them or give them as jewelry gifts to my loved ones on special occasions.
WIP Polymer Clay Beads
- Most of the beads you see here were inspired by a tutorial from from CraftArtEdu by Debbie Crothers called “Symbolic Beads.”
- I made one with white clay (as Debbie teaches) and snowflakes that I antiqued in 5 different colors of blue acrylic paints.
- I made 2 fall themed beads with a custom blend ecru-like shade and antiqued them in raw sienna (medium brown) acrylic paint.
- To my favorite of of two beads (the one on the left) I made into a pendant necklace using brass chain & leaves from B’Sue Boutiques.
- I also made a batch of 7 monsters … you’ll see what the monsters are for TOMORROW, so be sure to check back!
Weekly Polymer Clay Bead-spiration!
Polymer Clay Beads by Lizzi Bizzi
Since I seem to be on a polymer clay bead kick here recently, here’s a whole bunch of beads that I am really digging this week! Looks at Lizzi fantastic combinations of color: from bold & bright to soft & pastel … oh they just make me drool. And look how many polymer clay beads are in this picture. WOW. Great work Lizzi! See more of Lizzi’s polymer clay work here on Flickr.
Weekly Tidbits & Fun
- Did you know October is ‘Pastor Appreciation Month?’ Our church’s gift to my husband & I this past week was toys, a bed, & a blanket for our pets. Smokie just loves her new bed!
- I have an addition … to caramel. Oh fall, you make me CRAVE caramel. It’s bad guys … you don’t understand. In 3 days I managed to eat an ENTIRE BAG of Goetze’s Caramel Cremes. Oh heavens!
- I’m photographing something really fun that I made for Ginger Davis Allman’s Challenge today. Have you entered yet? If not, today is the final day, but if you hurry, you can whip something up super fast! (Just be sure you have a black light.)
Want to be an artist of inspiration for the week?
Every week I choose 1-2 artists whose work has caught my eye during the week. How do you catch my eye? It’s simple … use social media. Here’s a few easy ways to catch my attention: become part of FaceBook groups I am also on, showcase your work on your FaceBook page, Twitter, Instagram, Flickr, Pinterest, or even tag me @KatersAcres in your photos on FaceBook.
What are you working on?
What’s going on in your studio? What are you working on? Is there a project you’d like to see me tackle and feature on the blog? Let me know in the comments below. I’d love to hear your thoughts & ideas!