This DIY polymer clay Valentine’s Day book tutorial will show you how to make a cute little book for someone you love this Valentine’s Day. You can fill the book with whatever sentiments you’d like. Here’s a few ideas for you: coupons, reasons why (the recipient) is loved, positive affirmations, love quotes, love scriptures, special memories with your loved one, or anything else you’d like to include. Are you ready? Let’s get started!
Materials & Supplies Needed:
Here’s a quick list of supplies you will need to make your own little Valentine’s Day book:
- Old book you’re willing to tear apart
- White gesso
- Brown Ink Pad
- Stamp Assortment
- Black Gelly Roll Pen
- Ribbons & Charm Assortment (I like B’Sue Boutiques)
- Red Premo! Polymer Clay
- Faux Collaged Veneer Tutorial*
- 1/4″ Round Cutter
- Hole punch
- Ceramic Baking Tile
- Dedicated Polymer Clay Oven
Valentine’s Day Book Tutorial Instructions
- Take your old book and tear out 2 or 3 pages.
- Cut them down into 2-3 portions per page.
- Fold them down the middle. Tear the edges off to make a nice rustic look.
- This will make a small little mini book.
- Roll some red Premo! clay through the pasta machine on the 2nd largest setting.
- Take an acrylic roller and make a gentle imprint of the pages to follow when cutting your template.
- Cut out the left, top, and bottom edges using a blade.
- Your should be able to see an approximate “line” where the right page edge lays.
- Like you did with the pages, TEAR your clay to make a nice rustic edge. This will be your FRONT cover.
- Repeat these same steps for the BACK of the book, except do NOT tear the right edge, also cut it to size using your blade.
- Add any embellishments or fun designs you would like onto your front cover. I made my front cover using my Faux Collage Veneers Technique tutorial.
- Once your front plate is decorated, use your 1/4″ cutter and cut a hole 1/4″ down and 1/4″ in from the top edge. Repeat by cutting 1/4″ up and 1/4″ in from the bottom edge.
- Repeat cutting these holes onto the back plate of your book.
- Place both the front & back plates of your book onto ceramic tiles.
- Bake at recommended clay temperature for 45 minutes in a dedicated polymer clay oven.
- While your font & back plates are baking, decorate your inside book pages.
- Using a thin layer of white gesso (I like the page text to show through a little) lightly cover the page with a brush on both front and back. Let dry.
- Add random stamped images onto the pages.
- Use an ink pad to add “shading” onto the edges of the pages to give an old, worn, antique look.
- Refold your pages and assemble as one signature.
- Use a black gelly roll pen to write whatever message you would like on the page. I chose the theme of my book to be why I love you.
- By this time your book plates should be done baking and mostly cooled.
- Gather your ribbons and charms.
- Punch holes into your book signature.
- Thread ribbons through your Valentine’s Day book.
- Present it to your loved one of Feb. 14th
Thanks for joining me today,